Monday, February 25, 2013

ITOHW Oscars in Review

To the new Bob Hope! I tip my hat to Seth McFarlane, far and away the most consistent laughs at Oscar. Sharp, vulgar, genuine and surprisingly respectable, he killed it. They better rehire for quality purposes and so we never be exposed to any meaningless media over "who's going to host the Oscar next year?"  I particularly liked the John Wilkes Booth joke: "What? Too soon? It's been over 150 years people!" One question to the screenwriter who won the Adapted Screenplay award for Argo: Yeah, so the chase scene on the runway in the end...sorry, what did you adapt that from?

"She's surprised to see Chris Tucker back in cinema"

2 comments:

  1. I agree MacFarlane was awesome!

    Two thoughts for you:

    Argo for best picture?!! It was good but not great! Zero Dark Thirty or Django Unchained would have been better choices...

    Speaking of Zero Dark Thirty, my second thought is that the Academy must hate controvesy (re: reality) since they completely snubbed what I thought was an excellent movie. Argo is also about the history of American intervention in the middle east, except its a puff piece of a film compared with ZD30 (acronym trademarked by me)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, Argo should not have won. It's as if the Academy was just jumping on the bandwagon. I loved Django, but I thought that the two best pictures of the year were Life of Pi and Silver Linings Playbook. Ang Lee is a master of epic proportions, a legend for making 3D something with artistic merit, and David O Russell is becoming my favourite director because he knows how to direct his cast and has an exceptional talent of creating this rhythm to his movies.

    I also really liked ZD30 (nice), and I think you're right that it got snubbed, but only with Kathryn Bigelow not receiving a nomination. Jessica was great but Jennifer was a revelation; Mark Boal wrote a damn good screenplay but Django was...Django. And like I said, there were 2 movies in my opinion that deserved the big pic win.


    ReplyDelete